We have the following images of Cliviger Independent Methodist Church in our archives.
The church began in Walk Mill, Cliviger, in 1878 – the first meeting being on July 7. Under the leadership of Robert Marshall they held meetings in a weaving shed and then hired a room from the Cliviger Cotton Shed Co Ltd for £15 a year. The group joined the United Free Gospel Church and became the Independent Methodist Chapel, Walk Mill, in the Colne circuit of the Independent Methodist Connexion of churches.
The Sunday School had about 120 youngsters and a day school was also begun on July 22, 1878. A single room was packed with 160 children each day. The headmaster was Mr Thomas Butcher who had previously been at Mereclough School. He was paid £25 a year and had other teachers and helpers to control the large class.
With financial help from the United Free Gospellers, a chapel was built on Burnley Road on land alongside the entrance to the Railway Drift Mine. The school-chapel was opened in 1880 – and the building is still in use today (2019) after a number of alterations.
(Taken from Cliviger IM Church’s website)
In the archives, we hold the following items from this church:
- Printed History: Centenary History, C Scholes, 1980